Pediatric Services at UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh
Since 1890, UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh has defined excellence and set standards in pediatric medicine and research. We are a leader in the treatment of childhood conditions and diseases and a pioneer in the development of new and improved therapies.
UPMC Children’s Hospital offers a wide range of clinical services, such as pediatric transplantation, at their world-class main campus in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and at IRCCS ISMETT in Palermo, Italy.
UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh is recognized as one of the top pediatric hospitals in the U.S., ranked number six on the 2022-23 U.S. News & World Report Honor Roll of America’s Best Children’s Hospitals. We are also nationally ranked in 10 pediatric specialties.
Centers of Excellence
Our centers of excellence continue to lead the way in clinical care and research:
- Organ Transplantation – UPMC Children’s established the first pediatric transplant program in the U.S. and since the program’s inception in 1981, the hospital has performed more pediatric transplants than any other center and has discovered new treatment methods to improve long-term survival and quality of life for pediatric transplant recipients. World-renowned surgeon, George Mazariegos, MD, is chief of pediatric transplant surgery.
- Cancer Care – The Division of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology is a comprehensive childhood cancer and blood disease center. We use state-of-the-art technology to provide the most current childhood cancer treatments. Our experts diagnose and treat children and adolescents with all forms of cancer and blood disorders. Linda McAllister-Lucas, MD, is chief of the Department of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology.
- Center for Rare Disease Therapy – This is the first center of its kind in the U.S. for treating rare diseases. It’s staffed by internationally renowned experts who offer innovative therapies and pioneering protocols for patients with rare diseases. We are among 31 centers in the U.S. named as a National Organization of Rare Diseases (NORD) Center of Excellence. World-renowned physician, Ken K. Nischal, MD, FAAP, FRCOphth, leads this specialization.
- Heart Institute – Our Heart Institute consistently receives three-star ratings from the Society of Thoracic Surgeons (STS) for congenital heart surgery. This rating, which denotes the highest level of quality, places UPMC Children’s among the top in the U.S. and Canada for patient care, cardiothoracic surgery outcomes, and congenital heart surgery. Led by expert surgeon, Victor Morell, MD, we are a leader in adult and pediatric congenital heart surgery.
- Brain Care Institute – We are recognized as a leader in the development of innovative treatments and approaches to disorders and injuries of the brain, spinal cord, muscles, and nerves. We see more than 14,000 patients a year from all parts of the world. The Brain Care Institute is led by Ian Pollack, MD, chief of pediatric neurosurgery and Ira Bergman, MD, PhD, chief of the Division of Child Neurology.
- Pediatric Ophthalmology – the Division of Pediatric Ophthalmology, Strabismus, and Adult Motility, is part of the UPMC Vision Institute. It has a global reputation for success in pediatric corneal transplants and the care of children with genetic corneal disease, cataract, and glaucoma. Dr. Nischal also heads this team.
IRCCS ISMETT For Children
Pediatric liver, kidney, and lung transplant services are also performed at IRCCS ISMETT in Palermo, Italy. An abdominal surgery program is available to patients who do not require a transplant but suffer severe abdominal diseases.
The highly specialized Meso-Rex bypass surgery to treat portal hypertension in children, is the only real physiological treatment for this type of condition. The technique, performed in very few centers, was invented in 1992 by Prof. Jean de Ville de Goyet, Director of the Pediatric Abdominal Surgery and Liver Transplantation Unit at ISMETT.
A Child-Friendly Setting
UPMC Children’s 10-acre campus inspires transformation and healing. The state-of-the-art facility was designed with input from physicians, nurses, and families to ensure that patients receive care in a comfortable setting. The hospital includes one of the largest family resources centers of any pediatric hospital in the world.
To schedule a consultation, contact us by email at email@example.com or call us at +1 412-688-8762.